Saturday, May 15, 2010
My Homemade Bow
About a couple weeks ago I made this really nice bow. Here is how I did it:
1. Well to make the bow you need a thin piece of wood (not too thin) that is springy. What I mean by that is that the the wood needs to bend and snap back when you release the bow string. I used Scottish Elm.
2. I cut the piece of wood I wanted down from the tree. Then with a saw, I sawed off all the small branches coming off the wood. I used the saw to make nice clean cuts.
3. I took most of the skin of the piece of wood off and I let it dry.
4. Now I need to make the notches. I did this again with a saw. I made sure that I didn't cut to far in so that when I pulled the string it would snap off.
5. Now all I did was tie a piece of string in the notches tightly so that the string is in its position.
Average Range: 48 feet
Longest Distance: 53 feet
Wood Type: Scottish Elm